Apply for a residence permit

Foreign nationals require a residence permit to take up residence in Kreuzlingen.

The residence permit can be applied for in person at the Residents' Registration Office.

The application will be examined by the responsible cantonal authority (Migration Office). You can find out which documents you need to bring with you on the website of the Migration Office (German) .

  • Note for students of the University of Konstanz or the HTWG Konstanz

    The following documents must be submitted with the application for a residence permit:

    • Form 1 (Application)
    • Valid travel document (passport or identity card)
    • Confirmation of enrolment at the university or HTWG Konstanz
    • Insurance certificate for illness and accident
    • Letter of guarantee from parents that they will pay for living expenses during studies
    • Tenancy agreement

    The permit only entitles the holder to a secondary residence in Switzerland (residence permit B). The main residence must be maintained in Germany.

    The fees are to be paid when the application is submitted.

  • Invitation to visit (entry of persons requiring a visa)

    In the case of a visit invitation, the guest must obtain the "Declaration of Commitment" form from the Swiss embassies or Swiss consulates abroad.

    The host or hostess must submit this form to the Residents' Registration Office together with the following documents:

    The fee is invoiced directly to the host by the Migration Office after the application has been processed.

  • Work applications for foreign nationals

    Depending on the duration and type of your gainful employment, the registration or authorisation procedure applies.

    Gainful employment up to 90 days - registration procedure

    If you are gainfully employed in Switzerland for up to 90 days per calendar year, you do not need a residence permit. However, there is an obligation to register.

    Gainful employment over 90 days - permit procedure

    If you work in Switzerland for more than 90 days per calendar year, you need a residence permit.